The use of UV-coatings in the car body repair industry has many advantages. The key benefi ts are speed, environmental friendliness, improved physical properties, less fl oor space needed and reduced scrap. These, together with environmental regulations imposed by governments and greater sustainability awareness among customers explains the rapid growth of this segment within the coating industry. Until now, UV-coatings were cured by the use of medium pressure mercury discharge lamps. These mercury-lamp based curing systems have however a number of serious drawbacks:
▪ Special fi lter to eliminate UVB & C
▪ Lamps have a very short lifetime (<500 hours)
▪ Frequent lamp replacement and high replacement costs
▪ High energy consumption
▪ Lamps contain Mercury, a hazardous chemical.
▪ Lamps require warm-up time
▪ Degradation of UV over lifetime
▪ Mercury lamps produce a lot of radiant heat
Chemicar Europe developed a curing system that has none of the drawbacks associated with mercury lamp based curing systems. Working from its state-of-the-art research and testing facilities in Antwerp, a top team of designers, technicians and LED experts created in co-operation with the coating industry the “UV-LED” system - destined to revolutionize UV curing in the car body repair Industry sector.